Are you dreading the moment that you have to kiss your wine goodbye? Do you find yourself sad at the thoughts of no more bottomless mimosa brunch dates, sippin’ beer by the pool, or happy hour with the girls. With Memorial Weekend just ending, I can’t help but think how much has changed in a year from how I spent Memorial Weekend this year compared to last year. But being pregnant doesn’t mean you have to just give up on your social life! Here’s my tips and tricks to help you stay social, sober, and sane till you’re ready to pop the bottle again in nine months! (Well after the breast-feeding, of course!) CHEERS!
- Ask your Hubby or BFF to join you in the effort some days. Go out for some frozen yogurt instead of drinks for happy hour or be adventurous and do a tapas dinner night where you go to a few different restaurants and order a tapa at each one!
- Offer to be the designated driver – boring I know – but you can still bond with your friends and hubby over non-alcoholic drinks. Plus, be happy knowing you won’t get that hangover the next morning and you’re saving calories!
- Order a “mocktail,” to sip on at dinner or out with friends. It actually has been fun for me to ask for a “mocktail,” and see what the bartender will come up with! I’ve had two bachelorette parties to go to while being pregnant and have gotten pleasantly surprised at both with the “mocktail creations” that the server brought me.
- Find other things to do at night and on the weekends that doesn’t revolve around sipping on your favorite drink – go shopping, go to the local farmer’s market, try cooking a new recipe, or go to a nature park you’ve never been to.
- Fake it till you make it! There are great, non-alcoholic options out there to make you feel like you’re still enjoying your afternoon glass of wine. One of my favorites that my husband found at our local Publix is Fre Wine Chardonnay. It’s light, crisp and refreshing, low in sugar and calories, and makes me think I’m enjoying my favorite wine! Chardon-heyyyy!